Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Some Quick Thoughts On Diablo 3



In short, my thoughts on Diablo 3 are "more 'meh' than your body has room for." I found it very fun for the first hour of the 4-5 hour "chapter 1" available in the beta which is really more of a demo. After that it became a spam click fest, but it had a very different feel than it's predecessors. It was boring. I was bored by it. I never thought I'd say that about a Diablo game. None of what I was doing was interesting after the first hour.

I'm a huge fan of Diablo 1 and 2, and I felt the art direction, while very smooth and pretty, did not lend itself properly to what I envision as Diablo. The colors are too bright, I honestly and truly expected this, of all games to be grimdark in it's art and style. Also, Why does my clearly Eastern Orient Monk have a thick Russian accent?



I found the gameplay to be boring compared to how I remmeber Diablo 1 and 2. Might be that I was low level and didn't have access to a lot of skills, or it might be that the formula is tired and worn out at this point. I'm not really sure as I would need to play more. I honestly think if I buy it, it will only be because it's Diablo, and for no other reason. If it were a new IP, people would say it's polished and is an overall great game. As a Diablo game, I'm mildly disappointed. It's just very meh.

I went and cancelled my Collectors edition. It's not a $100 game and I don't care how cool the toys it comes with are. I'd pay 40, maybe 50 for this game at best. It's not a worthy successor from the brief bit I played, though I'm hoping to be proved wrong by later sections. The fact that I have to always be on the internet to play shouldn't really bother me but it does. I mean, when am I not connected to the internet on my desktop? But the fact remains that I don't like it. It shouldn't exist in a predominantly single player game.

The real money auction house also seems shitty at a first glance - Blizzard takes $1 for every weapon/armor piece sold, and 15% from everything else. Then, to get that money out of your Battle.net account which is only useful for paying for your WoW subscription or buying more virtual D3 shit, Blizzard takes another 15% to transfer it to your Paypal, and then Paypal has it's own surcharge. Realistically you are making profit from pixels and it costs you nothing except time, but time is the most valuable commodity next to information. I don't think it's going to be worth it at all unless your the buyer. It's a fantastic move on Blizzard's part, as they are going to make fat bank on all these idiots throwing down hard cash on items for their single-player-game-with-multi-player-component.

The whole game stinks of "this generation" and "this generation" is a steaming pile of shit for the most part. I am not amused by this game, though I hope I might be later.

No comments:

Post a Comment